6.02.2008

Within Means

"It's once in a lifetime..."

I hear this a lot. It is the excuse everyone tries to lend me when I hesitate making a wedding purchase due to cost. Sometimes people feel so passionately about what they think I deserve that I end up having to defend myself. These good intentioned debates usually halt completely when someone suggest involvement of my plastic buddy. I guess that's where I draw the line.

In case you haven’t noticed, I am a frugal gal. I am not stingy, I simply take measures to ensure I do not spend much more than necessary to satisfy my needs. I believe that I deserve what I have earned. If I put myself through college and bought my humble dream car without getting into debt, I surely am not about to do so to throw a party even if it’s in fact 'once in a lifetime'.

I am not big on preaching, as I am certainly no expert on life and living. I just try to best manage my own. I am all for great weddings, which is something brides define in vastly different ways. Big or small budget, most brides share the same goal to mark and celebrate the beginning their new lives. To me, it means a small party leaving a small nest egg in my coinpurse to build upon. I'd like for my plastics to be left out of being a payment option.

Debt is just not my kind of fairy tale ending.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I didn't even see this untill just now. Same page, indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete